Wednesday, January 05, 2022

Lit Hub Article on Thompson and Gonzo

I wrote my first essay for Literary Hub on Gonzo journalism. I try to show how capsule histories miss something important about Thompson's signature style--specifically, the shaping power of sheer fortune. Gonzo journalism was many things--in the article, I offer six ways to characterize it--but it certainly wasn't the predictable outcome of a conscious project.

The positive feedback to this article on my Facebook page was gratifying. Timothy Ferris, who knew Thompson well from their days at Rolling Stone, had this to say: "Very nicely done. Avoids the pitfalls that have beset many other writers on this subject, and is also refreshingly original. The phrase 'both generative and degenerate' captures a lot. You can be proud of this piece." That meant a lot to me.

No comments: