Monday, November 01, 2021

Taibbi and Thompson

When Matt Taibbi was at Rolling Stone, he was often compared to Hunter Thompson, and for good reason. He's not the comic stylist that Thompson was, but that's a high bar. He's a much better reporter, a more dogged media critic, and a very astute reader of Thompson's work. I haven't followed him on Substack or read all the books, but I liked this assessment, which filled in some blanks for me.

I've selected an image for The Divide, which I reviewed favorably for Truthdig a while back. Here's that essay.

2 comments:

Mon-sewer Paul Regret said...

I was a big fan of Taibbi, who was very much as you described him: HST but a better, more fact-based reporter. Now, I agree with my friend Doug Henwood, who is quoted in that Intelligencer piece: "Now I just don’t know what the hell he’s going on and on about. He’s obsessed with stupid shit.”

Peter Richardson said...

I saw Taibbi spend a lot of time on Twitter dealing with trolls, which is an uphill climb to the bottom, but I would need to hear more of what Doug H. has in mind before I could respond directly to that. I read Taibbi's stuff on the Rittenhouse case and Virginia election, and though Doug might not care for it, I thought it was very worthwhile. Taibbi has become a media scold, but the criticisms I've seen are on point. And though few in the mainstream outlets will say it out loud, his Russiagate position is looking better and better.