Friday, April 22, 2022

C-SPAN Airs My Chat with David Talbot

Not sure how I missed this program, or that I was properly lit. (Take that as you will.) But I was delighted to appear on C-SPAN's "Book TV" with David Talbot and Peter Maravelis. Thanks to City Lights for hosting this event way back in January. In fact, this was the book's official launch.

Let's take these things one at a time.

First, what an honor to appear on C-SPAN. I think someone there might be a Thompson fan because the station also featured Timothy Denevi and Juan Thompson in recent years.

Second, what a privilege to appear with David Talbot. He wrote (among other things) the bestselling Season of the Witch about San Francisco in the 1970s and 1980s. He also crossed paths with Thompson at the San Francisco Examiner. As this program shows, he's a Thompson aficionado and a skilled interviewer. I can vouch that he's also an all-around good guy, and I'm so glad he has returned to form.

Third, how cool that City Lights was the host. Over and above my affection for that San Francisco shrine, there's the magnetic attraction that drew Thompson to San Francisco in the first place. You can't understand that attraction without City Lights and its history.

No comments: