Sunday, September 09, 2012

Bear House

I took a small contingent by 6024 Ascot in Montclair today. Turns out the house, which was owned by Owsley Stanley, can be had for a mere $1.4 million. Fanatical readers of this blog will recall that Stanley was the Bay Area's top producer of fine LSD in the 1960s as well as the Dead's sound engineer. He frequently housed members of the Grateful Dead here circa 1972.

These photographs don't do justice to this unique property. The home, which dates to the 1920s, began as a log cabin that's still intact, including untrimmed bark on the inside rafters. The master bathroom, with its mind-blowing tile work, is one of the coolest rooms I've ever come upon. The front courtyard and second-story balcony overlooking the pool announce "Party!"

Not everything works in this place. In fact, it's a little like a Grateful Dead concert: funky, uneven, full of peak moments. Check it out, I say.

2 comments:

Hipstorian said...

That's right around the corner from me! Rhoney showed some pictures at her last Bay Area job talk, but I'm gonna go check it out in person!

Hipstorian said...

Nice! Rhoney had pictures at her reading of OWSLEY AND ME at the Beat Museum. But now I'm going to go check it out in person... since it's just up the block from me!