Friday, September 28, 2007

Cal State Channel Islands and Global Exchange

I spoke about Carey McWilliams at Cal State Channel Islands yesterday. I was really impressed with the campus and delighted by the faculty I met there.

On the drive down, I saw workers out in force picking lettuce in the Salinas Valley. Not much has changed since I began doing that drive over 30 years ago, and I wonder if McWilliams and John Steinbeck would notice any big changes since 1939.

I stayed at Alice McGrath's house in Ventura. She came to the talk, and I dropped her off on the way back to the Bay Area. I pulled into the Mission (San Francisco, that is) just in time for a book party at Global Exchange for Building the Green Economy by Kevin Danaher, Shannon Biggs, and Jason Mark. Also a blast.

No comments: